Symptoms of Wrist Pain
The wrist is a complex joint made up of many small bones. Damage to any part of your wrist can be painful, ranging from dull aches to sharp stabbing pain, and can affect your ability to use your wrist and hand. In treating the root causes of your pain, we effectively reduce or eliminate the following symptoms:
- Inability to carry objects or use the wrist
- Deformity of the joint
- Wrist pain that occurs at night or while resting
- Wrist pain that persists beyond a few days
- Inability to straighten or flex the wrist
- Swelling or significant bruising around the joint or wrist
It is important to start treatment early. If you suffer from wrist pain, we encourage you to set up an appointment with a doctor.
Wrist Pain Treatment Methods at Global Pain & Spine Clinic
- Physical Therapy Treatment for Wrist Pain â In order to restore your normal range of motion and build muscle strength, we find that stretching, strengthening, and increasing endurance are vital to your recovery.
- Ice and Heat Application – For acute wrist pain, we use a combination of heat and ice, oftentimes alternating between the two. Heat and ice are especially helpful in alleviating inflammation during the initial phase.
- Stretching – Stretching the muscles and tendons that surround the joint can help alleviate some causes of wrist pain.
- Manual Therapy – Our skillful manual therapists use a variety of soft tissue mobilization techniques to help increase circulation to the area, release muscle tension, and restore natural alignment to the wrist and surrounding areas.
- Medications, Injections and Vitamin Treatment for Wrist Pain â We use such items as cortisone and steroids to reduce inflammation and pain, combined with vitamins to naturally stimulate the bodyâs own healing process.
- Anti-Inflammatory Medication - Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory pain medications, commonly referred to as NSAIDs, are some of the most commonly prescribed medications, especially for patients with wrist pain caused by problems such as arthritis and tendinitis.
- Cortisone Injections – If NSAIDs do not provide the desired effect then we can apply a cortisone injection. Cortisone is a powerful medication that treats inflammation and ultimately can help to reduce pain.
- Vitamin and Homeopathic Injections – Help reduce inflammation naturally, promote healing, and offer the same effects as other forms of chemical medication without the painful or harmful side effects.
- Acupuncture Treatment for Wrist Pain â Acupuncture involves the placement of hair-thin needles into your skin at specific places on your body. We utilize acupuncture as a natural and very effective pain management resource. Acupuncture in combination with electrical stimulation or cold laser therapy helps to increase healthy blood flow, reduce pain and inflammation, and promote healing.
- Bracing - We work with some of the best brace companies in the US. It allows us to provide our patients with a variety of different bracing options to make sure they will be able to use the brace in the most effective way. Support braces can help with recent sprain injuries, and with recurrent injuries. These braces act as a gentle support to wrist movements, helping you perform simple activities during your rehabilitation.
We work with our patients to restore the health of their wrists, so they can once again resume their daily activities free of pain.