What is Spondylolisthesis?
It’s a big word, but it has a simple enough meaning: “spondylo” means “spine,” and “listhesis” means “slippage.” When one of the vertebrae in your lower back slips out of alignment with the rest of your spine, it can cause excruciating pain in your back and thighs. Over time, the pain may even hinder you from standing and walking.
Global Pain & Spine Clinic’s professionals are experts in the care and treatment of patients burdened by the pain of spondylolisthesis. We use specialized medical knowledge and natural methods including chiropractic care and physical therapy to calibrate your spine and eliminate pain!
Symptoms of Spondylolisthesis
The condition doesn’t always come with symptoms. Many people have spondylolisthesis and don’t even realize it until it’s revealed on an x-ray for a different problem. However, there are several painful signs that often accompany spondylolisthesis. We effectively treat the following symptoms:
- Pain in the lower back, especially after exercise
- Increased swayback (posture that resembles inverted slouching) or development of a waddling style of walking
- Pain and/or weakness in one or both thighs or legs
- Tight feeling in the hamstring muscle
- Muscle spasms in the lower back
If you are unsure if you suffer from spondylolisthesis, we encourage you to set up an appointment with a doctor. It is important to start treatment early.
Spondylolisthesis Treatment Methods at Global Pain & Spine Clinic
- Physical Therapy Treatment for Spondylolisthesis – Our physical therapists use a combination of both “active” and “passive” treatments to increase your spine’s strength and mobility.
- Flexibility and Strengthening Exercise Programs – In order to restore normal range of motion and build muscle strength and endurance, active exercises such as stretching, strengthening core muscles in the Viagra back and abdomen, and increasing your endurance are vital to your recovery. Strengthening of the back muscles is one of the most important secrets of successful spondylolisthesis treatment.
- Manual Therapy – The use of manual therapy can be vital to soothing the pain and discomfort that spondylolisthesis causes, and it can also increase mobility and strength of the spine.
- Medications and Injections for Spondylolisthesis – Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications are the preferred choice. They can be helpful for controlling back and leg pain by reducing the inflammation from arthritic joints. In the case of an acute muscle strain, muscle relaxants may help.
- Acupuncture Treatments for Spondylolisthesis – This treatment method is commonly used to treat patients suffering from back related conditions. Hair-thin needles are placed into points of blockage along the spine to reduce pain and improve back function.
- Chiropractic Care for Spondylolisthesis – Chiropractic care makes use of a hands-on approach to the healing of mechanical disorders of the musculoskeletal system. The most familiar treatment technique of chiropractic care is spinal manipulation or chiropractic adjustment. Chiropractic treatments are effectively used to treat problems with the muscles, joints, bones, and connective tissues.
- Corset/Brace – In certain situations, a corset or brace is useful to provide additional support to the spine. This support may decrease muscle spasm and pain. We work with some of the best brace companies in the US. It allows us to provide patients with a variety of different bracing options to make sure that patient will be able to use the brace in the most effective way.
We work to make sure that our patients have full use of their spine and back to perform their daily activities free of pain!