Symptoms of Shoulder Pain
Pain in the shoulder can be caused by repetitive movement, natural wear-and-tear, or a traumatic injury. We effectively treat the following symptoms:
- Inability to carry objects or use the arm
- Injury that causes deformity of the joint
- Shoulder pain that occurs at night or while resting
- Shoulder pain that persists beyond a few days
- Inability to raise the arm
- Swelling or significant bruising around the joint or arm
- Signs of an infection, including fever, redness, and warmth
It is important to start treatment early. If you suffer from shoulder pain, we encourage you to set up an appointment with a doctor.
Shoulder Pain Treatment Methods at Global Pain & Spine Clinic
- Physical Therapy Treatment for Shoulder Pain â In order to restore your normal range of motion and build muscle strength, we find that stretching, strengthening, and increasing endurance are vital to your recovery.
- Flexibility and Strengthening Exercise Programs – These types of programs are important to keep the shoulder muscles flexible and strong. They are among the main safeguards to prevent future injuries. It is important to begin slowly and progress as tolerated, using pain as your guide.
- Manual Therapy â Our skillful manual therapists use a variety of soft tissue mobilization techniques to help increase circulation to the area, release muscle tension, and restore natural alignment to the wrist and surrounding areas.
- Kinesio Taping â We offer Kinesio taping and related exercises to promote biomechanics and strengthening of both the shoulder and the surrounding core muscles, which are responsible for keeping it properly in place.
- Ice and Heat Application â For acute shoulder pain, we use a combination of heat and ice, often alternating between the two. Heat and ice are especially helpful for alleviating inflammation during the initial phase.
- Stretching â Stretching the muscles and tendons that surround the joint can help alleviate some causes of shoulder pain.
- Ultrasound and Electrical Stimulation â We use these methods to promote healing in the central nervous system, and to deeply manipulate swollen tissue, providing healing relaxation.
- Medications, Injections and Vitamin Treatment for Shoulder Pain â We use such items as cortisone and steroids to reduce inflammation and pain, combined with vitamins to naturally stimulate the bodyâs own healing process.
- Anti-Inflammatory Medication â Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory pain medications, commonly referred to as NSAIDs, are some of the most commonly prescribed medications, especially for patients with shoulder pain caused by problems such as arthritis, bursitis, and tendonitis.
- Cortisone Injections â If NSAIDs do not provide the desired effect, then we can apply a bursa or joint tendon sheath injection. Cortisone is a powerful medication that treats inflammation, and inflammation is a common problem in patients with shoulder pain.
- Acupuncture Treatment for Shoulder Pain â Acupuncture involves the placement of hair-thin needles into your skin at specific places on your body. We utilize acupuncture as a natural and very effective pain management resource. Acupuncture in combination with electrical stimulation or cold laser therapy helps to increase healthy blood flow, reduce pain and inflammation, and promote healing.
We work with our patients to restore the health of their shoulders, so they can once again resume their daily activities free of pain!