What is Sciatica?
Sciatica is an extremely painful condition that originates in the lower back. The pain travels through the buttock and down the large sciatic nerve in the back of the leg, and is often accompanied by tingling, numbness or weakness.
We have great success in working with our patients to quickly alleviate sciatica-related pain, restore full range of motion, and help prevent future recurrence. Patients have been surprised and pleased at how quickly they were able to return to the activities they enjoy!
Symptoms of Sciatica
We effectively treat the following symptoms:
- Pain on one side of the buttock or in one leg that is worse when sitting
- Burning or tingling down the leg
- Weakness, numbness or difficulty moving the leg or foot
- Constant pain on one side of the rear
- Sharp pain that may make it difficult to stand up or walk
It is important to start treatment early. If you are unsure if you suffer from sciatica, we encourage you to set up an appointment with a doctor.
Sciatica Treatment Methods at Global Pain & Spine Clinic
- Physical Therapy Treatment for Sciatica Pain – At Global Pain & Spine Clinic, we take a unique, dual-approach to physical rehabilitation. We provide you with the exceptional care you really need as you progress through our therapy program!
- Flexibility and Strengthening Exercise Programs – Our physical therapists slowly progress through a wide variety of exercises to keep the back muscles flexible and strong while rehabilitation occurs. These are among the main safeguards against future injury.
- Manual Therapy – Our skillful manual therapists use a variety of soft tissue mobilization techniques to help increase circulation to the area, release muscle spasms, and stretch back tissues.
- Ice and Heat Application – For acute sciatica pain, we use a combination of heat and ice, often alternating between the two. Heat and ice are especially helpful in alleviating inflammation and leg pain during the initial phase.
- Electrical Nerve Stimulation – This includes transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS). Electrodes are placed on the back to gently stimulate nerves and help alleviate pain.
- Medications and Injections for Sciatica Pain – We use fast acting anti-inflammatory medications to treat inflammation and reduce soreness. If muscle spasms are present, we additionally use muscle relaxants to increase your comfort.
- Anti-Inflammatory Medication: By effectively reducing inflammation, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory pain medications, commonly referred to as NSAIDs, alleviate the swelling that is putting pressure on your nerve, thereby alleviating the pain and numbness associated with sciatica.
- Acupuncture Treatment for Sciatica Pain – Acupuncture involves the placement of hair-thin needles into your skin at specific places on your body. We utilize acupuncture as a natural and very effective pain management resource. Acupuncture in combination with electrical stimulation or cold laser therapy helps to relax the muscles, reduce pain and inflammation, and promote healing.
- Chiropractic Care for Sciatica Pain – We recommend spinal manipulation, the primary form of treatment performed by doctors of chiropractic, to treat sciatica. First, our experienced manual therapists prepare the back for chiropractic alignment using special techniques to stretch and loosen muscles and ligaments surrounding the vertebrae. Our chiropractor is then able to safely manipulate the vertebrae into their proper alignment, addressing the root cause of the symptomatic pain. Many patients can already feel the benefits after the first visit!
- Bracing – In certain situations, a corset or brace is useful to provide additional support to the spine. This support may decrease muscle spasm and pain. We work with some of the best brace companies in the US. It allows us to provide our patients with a variety of different bracing options to make sure that they will be able to use the brace in the most effective way.
We work with our patients to eliminate sciatic pain, so they can once again resume their daily activities free of pain!