Symptoms of Lower Back Pain
Most low back pain is triggered by some combination of overuse, muscle strain, and injury to the muscles, ligaments, and discs that support the spine. Symptoms of lower back pain we effectively treat include:
- Pain that extends down the leg and below the knee
- Numbness in the leg, foot, groin or rectal area
- Weakness in the legs
- Loss of bladder and bowel control
- Pain caused by severe arthritis or injury
- Immobilization caused by extreme pain
- Pain that doesnât subside or improve, even after 2 to 3 weeks
It is important to start treatment early. If you suffer from low back pain, we encourage you to set up an appointment with a doctor.
Lower Back Pain Treatment Methods at Global Pain & Spine Clinic
- Physical Therapy Treatment for Lower Back Pain â Our physical and manual therapists work with you to create an individualized strengthening program that ensures that the vertebrae are properly aligned and held in place to prevent future recurrence of injury and pain. Our talented team helps you to quickly return to the many activities you enjoy!
- Flexibility and Strengthening Exercise Programs â Our physical therapists slowly progress through a wide variety of exercises without moving beyond your comfort zone. These exercises keep the back muscles flexible and strong while rehabilitation occurs, and are among the main safeguards against future injury.
- Manual Therapy â Our skillful manual therapists use a variety of soft tissue mobilization techniques to help increase circulation to the area, release muscle spasms, and stretch back tissues.
- Medications and Injections for Lower Back Pain â We use such items as cortisone and steroids to reduce inflammation and pain, combined with vitamins to naturally stimulate the bodyâs own healing process.
- Anti-Inflammatory Medication â Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory pain medications, commonly referred to as NSAIDs, are some of the most commonly prescribed medications, especially for patients with lower back pain caused by problems such as arthritis or disc problems.
- Cortisone Injections â If NSAIDs do not provide the desired effect then we can apply a cortisone injection. Cortisone is a powerful medication that treats inflammation, and inflammation is a common cause of low back pain.
- Prescription Pain Medication â We may use prescription pain medicine or muscle relaxants temporarily, as we work to help break the pain cycle and reduce inflammation.
- Acupuncture Treatment for Lower Back Pain â Acupuncture involves the placement of hair-thin needles into your skin at specific places on your body where blockages along energy pathways, called meridians, are causing pain. We utilize acupuncture as a natural and very effective pain management resource. Acupuncture in combination with electrical stimulation or cold laser therapy helps to increase healthy blood flow, reduce pain and inflammation, and promote healing.
- Chiropractic Care for Lower Back Pain â We recommend spinal manipulation, the primary form of treatment performed by doctors of chiropractic, to treat low back pain. First, our experienced manual therapists prepare the back for chiropractic alignment using special techniques to stretch and loosen muscles and ligaments surrounding the vertebrae. Our chiropractor is then able to safely manipulate the vertebrae into their proper alignment, addressing the root cause of the symptomatic pain. Many patients can already feel the benefits after the first visit!
- Bracing â In certain situations, a corset or brace is useful to provide additional support to the spine. This support may decrease muscle spasm and pain. We work with some of the best brace companies in the US. It allows us to provide patients with a variety of different bracing options to make sure that they will be able to use the brace in the most effective way.
We work with our patients to restore the health of their backs and spines, so they can once again resume their daily activities free of pain!