Symptoms of Knee Pain
There are many symptoms associated with knee pain and injury. Depending on the condition, patients may experience the following:
- Popping and snapping within the knee, combined with pain, may be the result of a torn ligament.
- A crunching and grinding sensation when the knee is flexed may be the result of worn away cartilage and arthritis.
- Locking is a symptom that occurs when the patient cannot bend or straighten their knee. This can occur if there is an actual blockage in the joint or when pain causes the patient to stop moving the knee.
- Unstable knee. Ligament damage can cause the patient to feel as if their knee is unstable and cannot support their weight.
- Swelling is a common symptom of knee problems. Swelling can follow an injury, a torn meniscus, or a ligament sprain. It can also be caused by arthritis or gout.
If you suffer from knee pain, we encourage you to set up an appointment with a doctor. It is important to start treatment early.
Knee Pain Treatment Methods at Global Pain & Spine Clinic
- Physical Therapy Treatment for Knee Pain – Strengthening and relaxing the muscles around your knee will make it more stable.
- Flexibility and Strengthening Exercise Programs – Our dynamic therapeutic exercise program is likely to focus on strengthening the muscles on the front of your thigh (quadriceps) and the muscles in the back of your thigh (hamstrings).
- Manual Therapy – Manual therapy helps to reduce any knee pain or inflammation you may be experiencing. Our therapists work with you one-on-one to target the source of your specific knee condition.
- Medications and Injections for Knee Pain – We provide medications and injections to relieve pain and reduce inflammation in the knee.
- Cortisone Injections (Corticosteroids) – Injections of a corticosteroid drug into your knee joint may help reduce the symptoms of an arthritis flare and provide pain relief that lasts several months at a time.
- Natural Hyalgan Injections – These treat even some of the worst knee pain. Hyalgan contains a natural substance called hyaluronate, and is injected into your knee to relieve pain. This thick fluid is normally found in healthy joints, and injecting it into damaged ones may ease pain and provide lubrication.
- Acupuncture Treatment for Knee Pain – Acupuncture involves the placement of hair-thin needles into your skin at specific places on your body. This treatment relieves pain, providing the patient with an alternative to medications and injections.
- Orthotics and Bracing – Arch supports, sometimes with wedges on the inner or outer aspect of the heel, can help to shift pressure away from the side of the knee. Different types of braces may help protect and support the knee joint.
We work to make sure that our patients have full use of their knees to perform their daily activities pain free!