What is Disc Herniation?
Disc herniation is what we occasionally call a “slipped disc.” The vertebrae in your spine can’t actually “slip,” but the tissue can become torn and stretched out of alignment with either age or traumatic injury. This compresses the nerve roots in the spine, causing serious pain, numbing or burning in the lower back.
Global Pain & Spine Clinic takes a natural, holistic approach to the repair of the spine. Our spinal specialists use techniques such as physical therapy and acupuncture to correct disc herniation and restore your spine to its normal range of pain-free movement!
Symptoms of Disc Herniation
A herniated disc doesn’t always come with symptoms or pain, but can result in severe discomfort if left unchecked. We effectively treat the following symptoms:
- Chronic low back pain which may radiate to the thighs, feet or arms
- Numbness, tingling or weakness in the spine
- Increased discomfort and pain when performing certain movements such as bending, twisting or lifting
If you are unsure if you suffer from disc herniation, we encourage you to set up an appointment with a doctor. It is important to start treatment early.
Disc Herniation Treatment Methods at Global Pain & Spine Clinic
From your patient history and physical examinations, we build a custom treatment plan from the following methods:
- Physical Therapy Treatments for Disc Herniation – The physical therapists at Global Pain & Spine Clinic use a combination of manual therapy and physical exercises to quell pain and strengthen the muscles in your back, neck, and core. This will supply additional support to the spine and encourage your body to correct the problem itself!
- Flexibility and Strengthening Exercise Programs – Our skilled and dedicated therapists guide you through physical exercises to greatly increase the flexibility and mobility of your spine. Strengthening your muscles will give your spine an extra boost of support!
- Manual Therapy – A variety of soft tissue mobilization techniques are being used more often by therapists who specialize in manual therapy. These techniques help to relax the spine and improve the flexibility of its surrounding tissue.
- Medications, Injections and Vitamin Treatments for Disc Herniation – Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications, commonly referred to as NSAIDs, are some of the most frequently prescribed medications. Cortisone and steroid injections can be used to treat inflammation that causes pain and swelling. We also utilize natural interventional pain management and nutritional consulting.
- Acupuncture Treatments for Disc Herniation – Acupuncture involves the placement of hair-thin needles into your skin at specific places on your body. We utilize acupuncture as a natural and very effective pain management resource. Acupuncture, used in combination with electrical stimulation or cold laser therapy, helps to increase healthy blood flow, reduce pain and inflammation, and promote healing.
- Chiropractic Care for Disc Herniation – Chiropractic care makes use of a hands-on approach to the healing of mechanical disorders of the musculoskeletal system. Our expert chiropractor has extensively studied chiropractic techniques central to the treatment of disc herniation. Spinal manipulation or chiropractic adjustment can be used to safely guide your spinal discs into proper alignment.
We work with our patients to ensure healthy spinal discs and spine mobility, so they can perform their daily activities pain-free!