What is Disc Degeneration?
Over time, the discs of your spine develop wear and tear, and can become thin and dry. This becomes even worse if you suffer a spinal injury. A degenerated disc can cause sudden, violent pain, hindering your mobility and preventing you from enjoying your daily life. If left unchecked, this may lead to even more dire symptoms such as bone spurs and osteoarthritis.
Global Pain & Spine Clinic is dedicated to soothing the suffering that degenerative disc disease can cause, restoring full range of pain-free motion to your spine and ensuring no further damage!
Symptoms of Disc Degeneration
The most common symptom of disc degeneration is back pain while performing activities, and while remaining in a constant position for long periods of time. We effectively treat this and the following additional symptoms:
- Low back pain while sitting
- Leg pain, numbness and tingling
- Chronic pain centered on the lower back, which may radiate to the hips and legs
- Increased discomfort and pain when performing certain movements such as bending, twisting or lifting
If you are unsure if you suffer from disc degeneration, we encourage you to set up an appointment with a doctor. It is important to start treatment early.
Disc Degeneration Treatment Methods at Global Pain & Spine Clinic
We build an individualized treatment plan for you that may include a combination of the following techniques:
- Physical Therapy Treatments for Disc Degeneration – Global Pain & Spine Clinic’s physical therapy programs are an excellent way to alleviate the discomfort of disc degeneration.
- Flexibility and Strengthening Exercise Programs – Therapeutic exercises are useful for strengthening the muscles in your back, neck, and core. This will give your spine the support it needs!
- Manual Therapy – If you’re experiencing acute Priligy pain, we usually begin with “passive treatments” such as manual therapy to soften pain and encourage healing. Our hands-on therapists are experts in improving spine flexibility.
- Heat/Ice – A combination of alternating ice and heat therapy can be used to efficiently reduce inflammation and pain caused by disc degeneration.
- Electrical Nerve Stimulation – At the end of our physical therapy sessions, we place electrodes on the back which gently stimulate your nerves and assist the process of rehabilitation. This process, called transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS), is helpful for some people with spinal problems.
- Medications, Injections and Vitamin Treatments for Disc Degeneration – Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications, commonly referred to as NSAIDs, are some of the most frequently prescribed medications. Cortisone and steroid injections can be used to treat inflammation that causes pain and swelling. We also utilize natural interventional pain management and nutritional consulting.
- Acupuncture Treatments for Disc Degeneration – Acupuncture involves the placement of hair-thin needles into your skin at specific places on your body. We utilize acupuncture as a natural and very effective pain management resource. Acupuncture, used in combination with electrical stimulation or cold laser therapy, helps to increase healthy blood flow, reduce pain and inflammation, and promote healing.
- Chiropractic Care for Disc Degeneration – Chiropractic care makes use of a hands-on approach to the healing of mechanical disorders of the musculoskeletal system. The most familiar treatment technique of chiropractic care is spinal manipulation or chiropractic adjustment. This technique can be used to safely guide your spinal discs into proper alignment. Patients who receive chiropractic care enjoy increased range of spinal motion and reduced pain and inflammation.
We work with our patients to ensure healthy spinal discs and spine mobility, so they can perform their daily activities pain-free!