What is Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?
Carpal Tunnel syndrome (CTS) occurs when the median nerve that connects your hand to your forearm suffers pressure and becomes pinched. This results in piercing jabs of pain, numbness, tingling, or weakness in the hands and fingers that can impact your ability to work or even sleep. Contrary to popular belief, Carpal Tunnel syndrome affects not only office workers and those who regularly use computers, but people of a wide variety of ages and professions.
Symptoms of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
CTS can cause any of the following symptoms:
- Feeling of paralysis in the hands and fingers
- Painful tingling of hands followed by decreased ability to squeeze objects
- Sudden swelling of the fingers
- Loss of strength in the muscle at the base of the thumb near the palm
- Pain shooting rapidly from your hand up the arms and even to the shoulder
If you are unsure if you suffer from Carpal Tunnel syndrome, we encourage you to set up an appointment with a doctor. It is important to start treatment early.
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Treatment Methods at Global Pain & Spine Clinic
- Physical Therapy Treatment for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome – The physical therapists at Global Pain & Spine Clinic are well-trained in administering routines to build the strength and flexibility of your hand, fingers and arm. We use the latest and most effective routines and techniques, including Kinesio taping, splinting, and joint mobilizations.
- Flexibility and Strengthening Exercise Programs – Therapeutic exercise will give your hand and fingers increased strength and flexibility while reducing inflammation and pain.
- Manual Therapy – If necessary, our manual therapists can use soft tissue mobilization to relax your muscles, extend your tendons to relieve pressure, and ensure that your bones are properly aligned.
- Acupuncture Treatment for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome – Acupuncture involves the placement of hair-thin needles into your skin at specific places on your body. We utilize acupuncture as a natural and very effective pain management resource. Acupuncture in combination with electrical stimulation or cold laser therapy helps to increase healthy blood flow, reduce pain and inflammation and promote healing.
- Medications, Injections and Vitamin Treatment for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome – We use such items as cortisone and steroids to reduce inflammation and pain, combined with vitamins to naturally stimulate the body’s own healing process.
- Anti-Inflammatory Medication – Non-steroidal anti -inflammatory pain medications, commonly referred to as NSAIDs, are some of the most commonly prescribed medications, especially for patients with CTS.
- Cortisone Injections – If NSAIDs do not provide the desired effect then we can apply a cortisone injection. Cortisone is a powerful medication that treats inflammation related to CTS.
- Prescription Pain Medication – We may use prescription pain medicine or muscle relaxants temporarily, as we work to help break the pain cycle and reduce inflammation.
We work with our patients to eliminate CTS-related pain and discomfort, so they can once again resume their daily activities free of pain!