Symptoms of Ankle Pain
Ankle pain is described as a dull ache on the side of the ankle. It’s often due to an ankle sprain, but can also be caused by arthritis, gout, tendonitis, fracture and nerve compression. Some common symptoms of ankle pain include:
- Warmth in the area surrounding the ankle
If you suffer from ankle pain, we encourage you to set up an appointment with a doctor. It is important to start treatment early.
Ankle Pain Treatment Methods
- Physical Therapy Treatment for Ankle Pain – In order to restore normal range of motion and build muscle strength and endurance, exercises such as stretching, strengthening, and increasing your endurance are vital to your recovery.
- Kinesio Taping - We offer Kinesio taping and related exercises to promote biomechanics and strengthening of both the ankle and core muscles.
- Ice and Heat Application – Ice packs and heat pads are among the most commonly used treatments for ankle pain.
- Stretching – Stretching the muscles and tendons that surround the joint can help with some causes of ankle pain.
- Medications, Injections and Vitamin Treatment for Ankle Pain – We use such items as cortisone and steroids to treat inflammation, combined with natural vitamins to naturally stimulate the body’s own healing process.
- Anti-Inflammatory Medication – Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory pain medications, commonly referred to as NSAIDs, are some of the most commonly prescribed medications, especially for patients with ankle pain.
- Cortisone Injections – Cortisone is a powerful medication that treats inflammation, a common problem in patients with ankle pain.
- Acupuncture Treatment for Ankle Pain – Acupuncture involves the placement of hair-thin needles into your skin at specific places on your body. We utilize acupuncture as a natural and very effective pain management resource. Acupuncture in combination with electrical stimulation or cold laser therapy helps to increase healthy blood flow, reduce pain and inflammation, and promote healing.
- Rest – The first treatment for many common conditions that cause ankle pain is to rest the joint, and allow the acute inflammation to subside. It is important, however, to use caution when resting the joint, because prolonged immobilization can cause a stiff joint.
We effectively and efficiently treat ankle pain so our patients can get back on their feet!